Wednesday, June 10, 2009

I <3 Albertine Press!!!

Today Alex and I took a drive to Sommerville to see a sample of my new custom note cards made by Shelley Barandes at Albertine Press. Letterpress is a form of relief printing where a raised surface like a design or letters are first inked then pressed onto a sheet of paper which leaves an impression of the image. In my case I chose a blind printing, or debossing, which is when the paper is pressed over the image without any ink and you are left with a very subtle and elegant form of the medium.

Alberitne's greeting cards and press printed products can be found nation wide and Shelley is also available for custom work like my note cards, business cards, announcements, save the dates, wedding invitations and wedding invitations. Did I mention wedding invitations??

This form of printing has been used for centuries and in a time where the digital age rules and age old traditions are often lost, I am honored to support Shelley and Albertine Press.



Here's the press with my plate on it.
Becca's lining up the note card before she rolls it over the plate with my design on it. I got to see how it would look with the blind printing and with the light green ink before I made my decision.


All of the inks are mixed by hand.



I love to hear your thoughts! What did you think of this post?

4 comments:

Shelley Barandes said...

Thanks, Melissa. These photographs are amazing!

Prill said...

Wow - that's beautiful! Love your cards.

Mark A Higgins said...

OOOhhh, letterpress! Nothing like a letterpress biz card! They look beautiful.

Susan Solo said...

Those are GORGEOUS notecards! And what a cool post - I've always wondered what the letterpress process looked like.

Post a Comment