Saturday, December 12, 2009

Cheryl & Mac's Wedding

Last night I got to shoot at one of my favorite venues with the coolest bride and groom! The Harbor Light Inn is nestled in downtown Marblehead and is the perfect place for a cozy winter wedding. The parlor holds about 25 people which was the perfect size for Cheryl and Mac's intimate affair.

Cheryl and Mac both live and met in the Seattle area but chose Marblehead as their wedding location. Surrounded by close family and friends, they were married by Mac's brother who had been designated for the day by the state of Massachusetts. It was a surprise revealed to Mac only a couple of days before the wedding and really made the ceremony that much more meaningful. I got a little surprise myself after the wedding when I found out that mostly Mac's side of the family has a pretty goofy side. After a number of formals it was decided that the rest of the photos would be fun and frivolous and for the rest of the evening there were lots and lots of laughs!

In this wedding you might notice a few more detail shots than normal. I'm always trying to evolve as a photographer and shot this wedding with mostly prime, or fixed length, lenses. Zooms are great and I could shoot an entire wedding with my 17-55mm and 70-200mm and be completely happy but primes have been calling me in my dreams and I recently purchased the 50mm 1.4g which is tack sharp and full of buttery goodness. Primes open up wider to allow in more natural light which is great for weddings and also provide a very shallow depth of field for killer detail shots and portraits. They are a bit of a challenge to shoot with because your frame is more limited and if you want to zoom in or out you have to zoom your self back and fourth rather than just turning your hand and zooming your lens, but they are well worth it and you should be able to see what I'm talking about. The proof is in the puddin'!








Mac's daughter is a hair stylist and did Cheryl's hair.



Their beautiful and adorable cake.





The flowers by the Flower House were also gorgeous!









Here comes the goofiness!!






Ceremony & Reception Location: Harbor Light Inn
Caterer: Every Little Breeze Catering
Cake Artist: Sweet Life Confections
Florist: Flower House


I love to hear your thoughts! What did you think of this post?

1 comments:

Lauren and Josh said...

Melissa, these are STUNNING! I feel as giddy as I did the first time I saw your portfolio! I LOVE detail shots, so excited about your new foray into different lenses, and can't wait to see how these play out at our wedding!

Fabulous!
Lauren & Josh
(June 2010)

Post a Comment